An umbrella liability policy protects you and your covered family members in the event of a lawsuit. It is an extension of the personal liability coverage offered in a standard home insurance policy. There are exclusions for each umbrella policy, however, most will cover:
- Lawsuits involving claims of bodily injury or property damage that are caused by you and/or a member of your home
- Lawsuits involving claims of bodily injury that occur on your property or due to hazards on your property
- Additional coverage above your auto policy limits for auto related claims
- Protection against personal injury claims such as libel, slander, wrongful eviction and false arrest.
- Costs for legal defenses for a covered loss, including court and attorney fees