After I renovate my home, do I need additional home insurance coverage?

After you perform any type of home renovation or upgrade you should always consult with your homeowners insurance agent to make sure you are adequately covered. Otherwise, the coverage you previously had on your home may not be enough to cover the new value of your home in the event of a claim. For example, let's say you have $250,000 worth of dwelling coverage on your home because that is your home's estimated replacement value. After a major kitchen remodel your replacement cost is now valued at $300,000. You would want to increase the limits of your dwelling coverage to $300,000 to make sure that your homeowners insurance would pay to rebuild your home back to it's previous condition in the event of a total loss.

Related Home Insurance FAQs:

About this content: The content included on this webpage in no way guarantees coverage for any type of insurance policy or policyholder. This is to be used as a general guide for insurance information and any specific coverage questions should be presented to your insurance agent.