Does my homeowners insurance cover flood damage?
A standard home insurance policy does not cover flood damage, although this is one of the most common misconceptions made by policyholders. In order to be covered for flood damage you must have a separate flood insurance policy available from the National Flood Insurance Program. A flood insurance policy will protect your home and your home's contents in the event of rising flood waters. Without a flood insurance policy, homeowners are left to cover their flood damage costs on their own.
Related Home Insurance FAQs:
- Why is the replacement cost so high? I didn't pay that much to buy it.
- What does my policy cover?
- After I renovate my home, do I need additional home insurance coverage?
- If my household appliances cause water damage does my home insurance cover that?
- What's the difference between replacement cost and actual cost value?