We’re adding a gazebo and a new fence to our backyard, do we need to tell our insurance company?

Structures on your property that are detached from the home are typically covered under the Other Structures coverage on your home insurance policy. However, you may want to talk to your agent about how much coverage you have for other structures and whether or not you need to increase it to cover your new gazebo and fence. A standard policy will typically offer approximately 10 percent of the amount of dwelling coverage for Other Structures coverage. Meaning, if you have $200,000 worth of Dwelling Coverage on your home, you may have up to $20,000 in coverage for other structures on your property.

For more information about home insurance coverage visit Homeowners Insurance 101.

Disclaimer: Information found on this webpage is intended for general use only and does not in any way guarantee or exclude coverage for a specific policyholder. This information is not intended as a substitute for professional advice. Please refer to your insurance policy for specific coverage and exclusion information.